Allied Health Therapies
Allied Health Therapies provide a dimension to palliative care that supports and complements existing treatments. Having the power to touch the inner self, these therapies help the client towards a natural state of physical, emotional and spiritual balance. Eastern Palliative Care works on an interdisciplinary model of care with all disciplines and programs coming together in a team approach. The Allied Health Therapies program is a core component of our service.
Massage Therapy In Palliative Care
Providing massage for people with a terminal illness requires modifications in technique. Our massage therapists have undertaken extensive training to safely meet the particular needs of our palliative clients.
As an integral part of our interdisciplinary approach to care, Massage Therapy has been a highly valued service at EPC for over 20 years. Evidence shows that massage provided to people receiving palliative care is both safe and beneficial. Our massage therapists are dedicated to contributing to the quality of life of our clients and their carers.
The benefits of massage may include, but are not limited to
- Reducing the side effects of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and some medications
- Easing the discomfort of fluid retention (Oedema/Lymphoedema)
- Lessening the impact of pain and shortness of breath
- Improving mobility
- Reducing tension, anxiety and depression
- Encouraging restful sleep
- Enhancing physical comfort and emotional wellbeing.
Our massage therapists provide their services in the comfort and safety of our client’s homes where massage can be given wherever it is most comfortable to receive, for example, seated in a recliner or resting in bed.
Our massage therapists are able to demonstrate some simple massage techniques to carers, giving them the confidence to safely provide comforting massage to their loved ones.
Clients are referred to our massage therapists by our nurses and family support through an internal referral process.
Support for carers is also central to the EPC approach to care. Our massage therapists provide Massage Therapy for carers and bereaved clients. Massage contributes to their physical and emotional health, encourages self-care, provides an opportunity for “time-out” and rest for the mind and body. This service is available in our dedicated Massage Room at Mitcham. Carers and bereaved clients can book massages through our central admin number.
How Can Music Therapy Assist?
- Reduce physical discomfort (eg pain, breathlessness, insomnia)
- Reduce feelings of loneliness
- Opportunities for special times shared with loved ones
- Memory reflection
- Promote coping strategies to help you remain at home
- Dealing with loss and grief issues
- Provide an alternative way of communicating
- Creating a legacy
- Enjoyment and fun
What Might A Music Therapy Session Look Like?
- Use of live music and/or recorded music
- Song choice
- Song writing
- Music and imagery/relaxation
- Active music making
- Musical life review
EPC Occupational Therapists provide a specialist palliative service.
Occupational Therapy aims to promote your dignity and support your participation in daily activities, such as moving around your house, getting in and out of bed, showering, and seeing friends and family.
Our Occupational Therapists can:
- Conduct assessments with you and/or your carers to identify whether you are experiencing any problems completing your daily activities and determine how to make your home suitable for you as your needs change.
- Assist with managing tasks and advice about suitable equipment.
- Provide information about equipment suppliers in the area and other community services who could assist with home modifications.
- Provide education and advice regarding pressure care, shortness of breath, fatigue, etc.
- Liaise with other members of the EPC team to promote best outcomes for you and your carers.